Monday, April 22, 2013

Bountiful Baskets


We first heard of Bountiful Baskets from our son and his wife who live in Arizona. When we lived in California we didn't have one near us, but here in Colorado we do. We log in on Monday or Tuesday, order the type of baskets we want, then go to a nearby drop-off point to pick them up on Saturday. This week, we picked up their conventional basket (a mix of fruits and vegetables), their combination bread pack (nine grain loaves, English muffin loaves, and sourdough), and an Asian vegie bag which had bok choy, napa cabbage, ginger, garlic, green onions, snap peas and beet greens). An organic basket is an option. Some weeks they offer an Italian or a Mexican vegie theme bag. They also offer a large bag of granola I hear is really good, and a variety of fruits or vegies depending on what they can purchase in bulk: strawberries, carrots, oranges, apples or seasonal produce.

 Check out www.bountifulbaskets.org to see if they have a group in your area. Their blog offers recipes for produce that may not be familiar or different ways to fix the food. I like the surprise and the adventure of identifying and trying new things, exploring new recipes. I now know how to cook leeks several ways, and I know what bok choy looks like. Variety is a good thing with food. Good to get out of our familiar ruts and attempt a different recipe, be creative and stretch our taste muscles. When the guys pick something up out of the basket and ask, "What is this?" I know we have a taste adventure ahead.

We'll be having stir-fry for dinner tonight.


2 comments:

  1. I was so excited to read your post. I quickly clicked the link, but to my sadness, none in my state :(

    I enjoy cooking and eating new foods just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of this and enjoyed checking their site. The closes locations to me are each an hour and a half away. But it just might make for a nice outing one day! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete